So this week´s been
good! I was in Santo Tome until Wednesday night. Something funny that
happened on pday when we were at the border. Everyone in the restuaraunt we
went to was speaking Portuguese and all the Latino missionaries freaked
out. They were like "I can´t understand anything, I feel so
lost!!" and all of us American missionaries were just sitting there calmly
cause it was 100% normal (to
not understand what’s being said around you) and so we said bienvenidos a nuestro mundo and then Hermana
Gonzalez was like wow, you guys sound buenos! So that was honestly rather
satisfying, though probably not the most Christlike feeling to have haha :)
Then in Santo Tome
our leaders decided it was a good idea to have us do a division (temporarily switching missionary
companions) where me and Hermana Mann got left to
our own devices in Santo Tome. Hermana Mann has less time in the mission then
me, so we were like why are you gonna leave the two gringas alone in Santo
tome!?! Santo Tome is also a really hard area, like casi apostate. Literally.
So we were pretty much terrified together. But we managed to leave and teach a
few lessons and somehow we found the guts to actually try to contact some
people in Spanish.
But it was also fun
to just get to chat with Hermana Mann in English. Their pension is horrible
with cockroaches and frogs just running around on the floor and all sorts of
other problems. Not exaggerating. Only on a mission will you find two gringas
walking around a border town of Argentina, trying to talk to people in Spanish,
then come home, relatively calmly remove the frog from the kitchen and the
cockroach climbing onto the ceiling above their beds, and then go to sleep with
peaceful hearts. So that was my Ihavenoideahowthathappened moment of the week.
The enabling power of the Atonement is so real. So often I think I can´t do
this I can´t do this, and then somehow you just kinda stand up and do it.
Another highlight
was when we got to teach B., a teenager the sisters found whose family was
inactive. The first time they visited he was just not interested at all and so
Hermana Mann followed a random prompting to offer to teach him English and he
was interested so they started doing that. Then apparently the day after
Hermana Mann offered that he tried to kill himself. So they very specifically
were focusing on him and trying to help him. I met him Monday night
after pday when we went there and he was pretty happy to see two Americans to
teach him English :), and then we went Wednesday as well.
Wednesday we
decided to share with him Alma 7:11-12, my absolute favorite scripture about
the atonement. We read it and were like what did you understand and he said
honestly bascially nothing. So we were like okay, what do you know about
Christ, and he said bascially nothing. So we very simply started explaining
that Christ came to earth to save us. Our mistakes have consequences, like when
you touch something really hot getting burned is the consequence. So
Christ came to the earth to feel all the burns of everyone, so that He could
help us. We told Him because of this Christ is your best friend. Oh my goodness
his face literally changed. It lit up with hope and happiness with the
knowledge of His Savior and best friend. Then we talked about prayer and how
because of this you can pray for help and he said "hace tres dias I´ve
been praying" (sorry I´m bad at translating) and we said thats awesome!
how do you feel, and he said what translates to "I´m walking happier"
:) Then he offered the most sincere prayer at the end of the lesson and me and
Hermana Mann walked away almost crying. Things that like make it ALL worth it,
if even just one person will realize that they have a loving Savior who is
willing to carry them through every trial and hardship.
So that was one of
my favorite moments of the week :)
Questions
from the family:
How is our favorite Amanda that we love?
I´m good, glad you haven´t replaced me quite yet :)
I´m good, glad you haven´t replaced me quite yet :)
The main thing I want to ask for you to see now is if you want to write anything in particular to the ward (local congregation).
Honestly I don´t
have anything particularly, I´m not very good at being profound on the spot. :)
Just send everyone my love!
How much ice cream do you eat on a weekly basis? There
seems to be a recurring theme in pictures...
haha funny em, you
come here and try not the eat the ice cream in this heat. The answer actually
isn´t that much, like once a week, but it´s also just one of the things I take
pictures of cause it´s something fun :)
Any more stampedes of horses?
nope, I have been
safe recently from stampeding horses.
Has J. accepted that he is in fact 12?
haha probably not,
unfortunately he got moved back to live with his dad (it really is unfortunate
and not a good situation for him) so I haven´t seen him.
I love you all a
ton and pray for you lots!!
love, hermana
rawlins
Sister Rawlins- Thank you so much for sharing your missionary experiences ! it is a blessing to know how the Lord is working through his children to reach others with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It sounds as if the teenager, 'B' has been touched by your testimonies and you've brought light into his heart reminding him of the Saviors love for him- I pray that he will continue to have an open heart and continue with spiritual enlightenments that come through missionaries such as you.
ReplyDeleteYou are an example to all and your sweet spirit radiates through your testimony shared. Thank you for being the terrific missionary you are and for selflessly devoting yourself to serving the Lord in these latter days.
Love to you from PA
Sister Lynch