Monday, November 24, 2014

Part of my Heart is Paraguayan // My Thyroid is Bigger than Your Thyroid

Questions from the family:

Does South America celebrate thanksgiving at all? 
No. Not at all. And its hot. 

Have you had any relief from the heat, or is it still bearing down on you?
The past Little while it hasnt been TOO hot, but now its building back up again. Its mostly just always really hot. really hot.

Will you ever get to go to Iguazu falls? 
Yup! If I ever serve nearby I can go on a pday, or if not the mission sends all the missionaries who are finishing up there together on their last pday.

So this week we had a pretty busy, normal two days at the beginning of the week. Then we got Word that I needed to go to Argentina for tramites on Friday. Which actually wasnt big news to me, because I knew that my 6 month visa was going to expire that Friday, I just thought I was gonna go to Asunción to renew it. While they didnt get a trip planned to Asunción, so we traveled allllll the way to Posadas just because I had to leave the country. So we left on Thursday and traveled forever. Its 10 hours. And then crossed over on Thursday night and spent the night there. All I needed to do was cross the bridge and then turn around and go back, but we took advantage of the opportunity and got me to the doctor in Posadas. Which was actually a tender mercy because Posadas has probably the best doctors you can find down here. So anyway, Friday morning the mission nurse took me to an obgyn, because... well just because. So I went there and the doctor was basically like, "no, you have to an endocrinologist, because you need a study of ALL of your hormones, not just the ones I do." by the way, medical spanish is a WHOLE different language than regular spanish. But the one good thing the obgyn did was that he took one look at my neck and said "you need to check your thyroid, look, its different than hers" (pointing at hermana nethercotts neck). And then he sort of poked me in the neck.
Anyway, turns out there's NOT an endocrinologist in the two largest clinics in Posadas, and the one guy he told us to visit wasnt open. So we didnt know what to do because I'm like literally the farthest posible distance away from Posadas so I cant really come back for an appt. So we called the área doctor who, thank goodness, speaks English and I got to talk to him and we chatted and he ended up saying that I should get a thyroid test to see what it says. So then they took my blood at a clinic and the lady was like "you're not gonna cry?" And I was like, "are you kidding, this is super cool!" and the nurse is supposed to go back to the clinic in posadas tomorrow and get my results. I'm pretty much dying for them,   I dont like uncertainty and not knowing things. Waiting for things was never my strong point :) So anways, thats that.
And then after all that we traveled alllll the way back here. Good riddance.
Probably the best part of this week was that Hermano Ledezma received the Priesthood!! I'm pretty sure that all of your prayers have been answered in him and the changes that he has made. Honestly its incredible and we are just so happy with him and with that family. Guess what, when people WANT to change their life, they absolutely can.
Also I wanted to include some thoughts about Paraguay. I was writing in my journal on the colectivo and then looking at the window at all the countryside got rather poetic, hahaha. just a random spurt of Pennsbury creative writing or something :) So picture me bumping along the Paraguayan countryside in the blazing sun in a barely-working bus cramped full of people, writing in my journal. Heres what I wrote:
"I just love Paraugay. The campo, the sunsets, the storm clouds, the red dirt roads winding away deeper to hidden colonias, the carefree cows, the overabundant chipa, the sketchy colectivos, the families sitting outside in their dirt patios drinking tereré and watching life stroll by. I hope I stay here until the end of my mission. Its such a simple way of life. Though they are not always too concerned about "working out their salvation", they do have a way of "being still and knowing that God is God". It's a worry-free philosophy (hakuna matata :). Very little phases them, because everything will work out in its time. And it usually does.
I find myself trying to drink it all in, open my soul and let it sink in deep, because I've realized that one day this will all end. I will miss it. I will miss it, because part of my heart is Paraguayan. Until that day, I will open my eyes wider to be my own personal memory card -- to imprint it all on my retinas and back into my nerve endings. I will tilt my head up and drink in every drop of sun, every dusty breeze, every ounce of Guaraní.
Part of my heart in paraguayan.
Petei pedazo che corazón Paraguayo ité."
Happy thanksgiving to all!!
love,
Hermana Rawlins

Amanda borrowed an Elder's voice recorder and sent us a sound recording! Here it is.

me and a parrot, super causal
after my doctors trip
us and the Ledezma family!!
we have some owl friends who like to hang out with us :)



No comments:

Post a Comment