Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Flashlights and Feeling Tall

Hola familia!!

First of all I need to apologize because I’m hopeless at this new keyboard and every other key seems to make weird symbols like this ç so forgive me.

So after we left Atlanta it was an all-night flight to Buenos Aires. I sat next to a couple from Argentina and had a semi decent conversation with them. That’s about the best at Spanish I’ve felt all week.

We got through customs and stuff which wasn’t too bad. The worst part of that day, I can't even remember which day it was, Tuesday? was that no one gave us complete instructions so it was like, go sit on this bus, sit here in the mission office, give me your passport so I can change your visa. I honestly don't even really know what happened but most of that day we waited in the mission office and then that night we took a small plane to Posadas. Super glad we did because apparently the bus ride would have been like 24 hours. So we spent that night in Posadas and then that morning we were interviewed and given our companions and sent off! I don’t know why my mission president said he'd talked to us on Thursday because Thursday morning was my first morning in Virasoro.

Anyway, my companion is a native from Nicaragua and she doesn't speak English at all, which is really hard. The language is the hardest thing right now because I just feel like I can never communicate, so please pray for that. 

I like Virasoro, but I don't know how to describe it. We live in the centro, which is like a normal kind of town, but about half of our area is super campo and we're not allowed to go into at night. Our apartment is actually really nice for mission apartments, because it’s new. Oh I forgot to say, we're the first sister missionaries that have ever been here. So that's super cool. So we divided the boundaries of the town, and because of that we're basically starting from scratch. We have no area book, no investigators, and like hundreds of inactives. My companion has a month in the mission. Like we literally started our missions on the same day, but she only went to the MTC for 2 weeks and then was out in the field. So we’re both new, and in a brand new place. But the members are amazing and support us. They’re the only reason we have a bed and a stove because our apartment had no furniture. They’re also currently working on getting us electricity because we don’t have that yet haha. Super glad I packed flashlights!

I think things probably sound crazier here than they are. Heavenly Father is taking care of us, and things really aren’t that bad. One of the less active members we met is convinced he knew the two of us “from some time before.” So that’s really cool. Yesterday was the primary program which was a tender mercy because I was feeling pretty lost and halfway through I realized that I can still remember the first sister missionaries that came to our ward when I was in primary. I’m trying to remember that I can make a difference even when all I can do is smile, say hola, and kiss cheeks. :) I’ve also never felt so tall in my life; I think it’s really funny. They don’t say gringa here they say polaca and one man couldn’t say Rawlins so just called me Hermana Polaca which I thought was really funny and was like the first joke I actually got :)

One thing that’s helped me right now is remembering that an instrument doesn’t know what it’s doing. It gets carried along wherever the master needs it and HE is the one who creates the masterpiece after a lot of work.

Ok love you all a ton! Sorry no pictures today I have no idea how to use any of this and it’s all in Spanish. Have a good thanksgiving!!

Lots of love,

Amanda


PS. Emily please correct my grammar. :) Thanks, you’re the best sister ever! 

The mission office sent this to us. These are all the missionaries that started the same day as Amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment