Friday, October 4, 2013

Why I'm going

I never really thought I would go on a mission. My church sends missionaries all over the world, not just to third-world countries -- because really we could all use a little help. So I grew up watching the local missionaries; I always liked them but never really thought I would be one. It was always a decision for much farther in the future, one which quite frankly I was afraid to think about, afraid to think about sacrificing all I knew and loved. That is until a year ago, when the eligible age for girls was changed to 19. All of a sudden I realized I could go, and soon. I was SO happy the day it was announced. Like SO happy. And I didn't even know why. I just thought to myself "I could go" over and over again, with a big cheesy grin on my face. I thought about it for about a month, and then I prayed. I told God I couldn't think of a reason to not go, and asked if that was what He wanted me to do with the next 18 months of my life. And He answered me, incredibly clearly, yes. As soon as I finished my prayer my heart was immediately filled with such peace and love and happiness that I couldn't deny I had received an answer.
And so that is why I'm going.

Because I know that God loves us infinitely and perfectly.
Because I know that He listens to and answers our prayers.
Because I know that He will direct our lives to great and marvelous things if we let Him.
Because I know that He sent His Son Jesus Christ to Earth to provide us a way back.
Because I know that Christ's church was restored again on the earth through Joseph Smith.
Because I know that the Book of Mormon testifies of Christ as our Savior, just like the Bible.
Because I know that Christ's church today is led by a living prophet, just like in biblical times.
Because I know that my faith in Him gives me power to overcome anything.
Because I know.


I've been assigned to serve in the Argentina Posadas mission. It includes the city of Posadas and the surrounding area of Argentina, as well as the bordering area of Paraguay. I'll first be at a training center for 6 weeks where I'll study Spanish, the culture, and how to teach people. Then I'll go to my assigned area, most likely suffer from culture-and-language-shock :), and start working to help people strengthen their faith and find peace and joy in life. Because I'll have limited time to keep in touch via email, my lovely sister Emily will be in charge of updating this blog with my weekly emails to my family. Written letters are encouraged and will be cherished. :)

I am fully expecting this to be the hardest thing I have yet done in my life.
I am also fully expecting it to be the most rewarding.

I'll be voluntarily sacrificing everything that is familiar and comfortable for the desire to simply make others happier, because I know that's what Jesus Christ would do. So here I go!!


Oh Savior if Thou wilt be my guide
though dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo the message sweet,
I'll say what You want me to say.
So trusting my all to Thy tender care 
and knowing Thou lovest me,
I'll do Thy will with a heart sincere,
I'll be what you want me to be.

4 comments:

  1. My dear Amanda, I love you so very much and know that you will be a fantastic missionary. Thank you for sacrificing the comforts and familiar things you know in order to share the eternal things that you know with others. Your life will be blessed as will the lives of so many more. God speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, you will be a fabulous missionary! So excited for you. Know that we will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I ask your opinion on those who do not believe in god? People are raised so differently around the world that I feel like missionaries are taking advantage of those who don't know better or how to decide for themselves. Then again, perhaps I am wrong. I am not criticizing, I am just very curious and uncertain of the motives of missionaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent your question to Amanda and this was her reply, "We in no way mean to take advantage of people in different circumstances with little knowledge of world religions. As missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, our only purpose is to invite. Here in the training center for missionaries we talk quite frankly about how trying to convince or persuade people of God is pointless. It doesn’t do any good. Our motives are not to force anyone to believe. However, we do believe that this church has the fullness of the doctrine of Christ, and can add to and complete the other pieces of truth in other world religions. We also believe that this knowledge can help in any trial in life. So we go out to invite others to listen to our message, and whether or not they do, to help all God’s children in love and service.”

      Delete